10 October, 2009

Matar Paneer-Super Hit Recipe



I Simply love this dish and I have made it hundreds of times (make it almost every fortnight..hehe). I have tried different variations and this one has been the most yummiest one! My guests were licking their fingers. One of them even told me, "I am so sure you have got it from some good restaurant-only they can create such a coveted dish". Well, I took it as a compliment (who doesn't like some adulation, tell me?).

Before I go to the recipe, I got another new book from my hubby. Food and health related books are one genre I never get bored reading, regardless of what they are cooking. This book has a great collection of 100 continental-American vegetarian recipes by Viki Smallwood.
And he does know I love watching Top Chef every season without missing an episode :). I am also sending this recipe to MLLA-16, hosted for the month by cook sister! and created by Susan.
So here is the super hit recipe. Relish it!

Ingredients:-
3/4-1 cup matar/shelled fresh green peas
1 cup of paneer cubes (around 10 pieces)
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp jeera /cumin seeds
1 tsp kasuri methi
1 star anise
2 cardamoms
1 inch of cinnamon
2 tbl spn sour/fresh cream
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbl spn of ginger-garlic paste
2 tbl spns butter
salt to taste

Onion Puree
1 medium sized onion + 1 green chilli

Tomato Puree
2 medium sized tomatoes + 5 full cashews + 2 stems of coriander leaves+10 mint leaves

Method:-
Heat the butter in pan. Fry the paneer cubes to golden brown in all sides and keep aside. Put them in some warm water and keep aside as they tend to get hard after frying.
Add jeera ,star anise, cardamom and cinnamon,kasuri methi, ginger-garlic paste and fry well.
Add the onion puree and cook well till the raw taste is gone.
Add the tomato puree along with the garam masala, coriander powder,turmeric powder,salt and red chilli powder.
Add the peas and cook well for about 15 minutes in medium flame. Stir occasionally. Check if the peas have become soft and the they have soaked the masala.
Add sour cream.
Add the paneer and cook for another 5 minutes.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve Hot.

25 comments:

Priyanka Navis said...

wow that was so sweet of ur husband :-) and the gravy looks yummylicious........

Smita Srivastava said...

Thanks for visiting my blog http://littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com/& putting in ur lovely comments.

You have a nice blog , i love the almond cookie recipe ,will surely try it .The pic of ur adopted
plant is really cute !!!

Sangeetha Subhash said...

OMG!!Great combination!!! Looks amazing and very tempting...As you said its a superhit recipe...sure i will try it soon..

Pari said...

That's so sweet of your hubby. The paneer looks yummy, love the idea of adding sour cream. I always add fresh cream , will try this next time.

Sushma Mallya said...

Matar paneer is one of my fav too..i used to tell mom to prepare it on my bday as i really used to enjoy this dish more than any other...Urs looks so good,will def try ur version priti..lovely click as well

Preeti Kashyap said...

thanks pari :)...corrected

My Experiments with Food said...

Hi, This is one of my favourites too. Esp when there are guests over, or it is a festive occassion which demands something special on the menu, Matar Paneer is on the top of my list.
Infact, was planning to write a post on it since it was the main dish on the Karwa Chauth Menu.
Your click looks mouth watering.

Raje said...

This is one of my favorites too. Your dish looks so rich and yummy!

Priya said...

Delectable matar paneer dish Preety, thats so nice of ur better half...

Preeti Kashyap said...

thanks guys-my hubby is quite happy reading your comments!

sowmya.s said...

looks delicious..so nice of your hubby to gift you the book..

Shri said...

Such a cute act:)It looks real tempting, Preeti!

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Lovely post... indeed very sweet of your H :)

Do sneak a peek in my blog when time permits.

Preeti Kashyap said...

sure i will sandhya. Thanks for visiting.

Sanghi said...

Delicious combo dear!

kitchen queen said...

you have a nice blog.you can visit my blog and give ur comments.

Prathibha said...

I love matar paneer,that looks so yummy dear..

Latha said...

Wow it looks sumptuous....

Kitchen Flavours said...

I too love this mutter paneer combo....looks yummylicious....that's an great recipe book...wish to see some finger licking recipes from that book at u r place....

Preeti Kashyap said...

thanks guys! Thanks for visiting me kitchen queen!

sowmmya said...

So sweet of him!And ofcourse, Matar paneer is yummy :)

Preeti Kashyap said...

thanks sowmi!

Malar Gandhi said...

Looks delicious to me...

Sireesha said...

Looks very luscious and yummy...That's so sweet of ur hubby..

my kitchen said...

Gravy looks so tempting